Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head"

So...my appointment was at 1pm today so Chase met me there to get the final say from the oncologist! After waiting close to an hour (we didn't actually see the dr. until about 2pm and both of us had to get back to work), we finally had a seat in his office and laid everything on the table. He showed us the 2 pathology reports done by 2 different doctors. Both had the same result...endometrial cancer grade 1-2. He said that because it was primarily grade 1, he would still leave the option for hormone treatment on the table. Of course, up to this point, I had really erased the "other" option from my mind, although deep down, I knew it could still happen! There are very little risks involved with the treatments. There is a 50-60% chance of the the treatment - Megace - working on this kind of case. To me, that sounded worth a try. The cancer is still slow growing, so there should be no devastating results for trying it for 3 months to see if it works. The biggest side effects include blood clots and an increased appetite! UGH! Seriously, the last thing I need is to gain weight! Anyway, he gave me the prescription and if I had my insurance card with me, I would be starting treatment tomorrow! So now it will start on Thursday or Friday!!! I take 4 pills, 4 times a day for 3 months and then I go back for a biopsy on August 6! In the mean time, we will be visiting some urologists to get some detailed information on the reversal situation. This way, WHEN the cancer is gone after 3 months we can get his surgery done and get started on this baby thing!!!

After the appointment Chase made a comment that has kinda stuck with me. It almost seems like he Megace treatment will "hold off" the cancer, assuming it will work, but eventually, I'll have to have a hysterectomy! I guess it's like with any cancer treatment though, it will help move the cancer to remission, but nothing guarantees it to go away forever! All I want is one...ok...maybe 3 kids...and then I'll be able to handle the hysterectomy idea a little better!!!!

I guess my next few updates will be focused on my reaction to the treatment and any information we find out about Chase!!! Til then....

1 comment:

  1. Lisa - I just read your blog! I will up my prayers for you ASAP! I love you and if you need anything let me know!

    ReplyDelete