Thursday, December 29, 2011

"Take a Back Road"

So I just finished reading the most disturbing blog I've EVER read...and it was all based around a t-shirt.  The t-shirt reads "Adoption is the New Pregnant".  The blogger claims that it's offensive...that adoption is not like being pregnant at all and should not even be compared.  She also stated that domestic infant adoptions only happen when the baby is stolen from the "rightful parent".  She said that adoptive parents are nothing more than guardians and should be called such.  She said that only blood makes a family, even if the child is unwanted or unloved.  She said that what the bible says about adoption does not mean anything to her because she is not a Christian.  That's when I stopped reading.

Every one of my friends with children had them biologically (except for my blog friends I've "met" along this journey).  To them I ask....what are your thoughts on adoption?  Do you think it's baby stealing?  Do you think parents who adopt are nothing more than legal guardians to the child? Do you believe that if you are not related through blood to a child, they will never be yours? I have also met several families who had children biologically and decided to also adopt. 

My personal thoughts are that this particular blogger is bitter. She has had something really awful happen to her and through her blog, she attracted others who were bitter and that only fueled the fire.  Even before our journey began, I believed in adoption as an option.  That's because I'm a Christian.  I believe that a family is created through love.  I believe that God wants the best for His children and when a biological parent is not able to provide what is best, there are those ready for the opportunity. 

I do NOT agree in finding children for a family.  A family should be found for a child.  I do NOT agree with mothers being manipulated into adoption.  It should be completely voluntary and they should be given honest and upfront information and answers. 

Chase and I did not CHOOSE anything that we have experienced.  God chose it for us. Foster to adopt was not something we had ever considered until we joined Homes4Good.  Now, I can't imagine our journey going in any other direction.  THIS is what we are supposed to do.  THIS is what God wants for us.  We are going to show a child God's unconditional love even if it's only for a short time.  We won't be perfect and it won't be easy, but we are ready.









No comments:

Post a Comment